Monday, October 23, 2006

College

So I never finished college...not even close. I was never a good student and be that nature or nurture, I don't think that aspect of my personality has changed much. And if it has, it's only gotten worse.

Now that's a strange way to start off a blog, right? Well, the reason behind it is that I've been think (again) of going back to school. But as usual, I'm confounded as to which direction to take on this crossroads o' life. On the one hand, I'm a banker by trade and there is a lot of schooling that could be done to increase my earning potential and move up in the ranks of the corporate army. But does it make me happy? Ahhh, now we have a key part of the dilemma at hand.

What really makes me happy is computers. Knowing about them. Understanding them. Programming them. Connecting them. Fixing them. Breaking them. Telling people about them. Showing people what I can do with one. That is what really makes me happy.

"So why don't you study what makes you happy, Joseph?", you ask. Good question, my read, good question. And I've got a good answer as to why not. My current employer (a bank) will pay for me to go back to school and learn banking. My current employer will not pay for me to go back to school to study computers.

And with a stay-at-home wife and two kids, I don't have the expendable income to be throwing at fancy learnin' clubs. It's not that it can't be done, it will just be more difficult. Maybe so difficult that I'll end up hating the decision that I've made. But, then again, maybe not.

Tha's enough back-and-forth for tonight. It's late (as usualy) and I'm tired (as usual) and I really should be getting to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home